20m Beep Fitness Test Instructions
The beep test is an aerobic fitness test. The test involves running continuously between markers 20 meters apart at increasing speeds, until exhaustion.
You will need a running track, playing field or grassed area, with a measuring tape and cones to mark out the 20m running area. You will also need the beep test recording and a speaker system.
- Measure out the track, placing two lines of cones 20 meters apart.
- Perform a warm-up.
- Line up along one line, and begin running when instructed by the audio recording.
- Turn when signaled by the recorded audio beep at the line 20 meters away, and turn back towards the starting point.
- Continue shuttling back and forth between the two lines in time to the audio cues.
- Finish the test when you are unable to keep up with the recording.
- Record your score - the level achieved plus the number of the last completed shuttle.
- Compare the results to the norms below.
Beep Test Video Example
This is a maximal test, the test ends when you are physically unable to keep up with the audio. The test will also be stopped if you start running early, do not run the complete distance, or reach each line before the audio cue (2 chances given).
What is a Good Score?
See the tables below to get a rating of how well you performed.
|excellent||> 13||> 12|
|very good||11 - 13||10 - 12|
|good||9 - 11||8 - 10|
|average||7 - 9||6 - 8|
|poor||5 - 7||4 - 6|
|very poor||< 5||<4|
- see other fitness test protocols